Monday, February 7, 2011

February 2nd, 2011


Growing up, I had the privilege to have three older brothers who I've learned a lot from. I learned how take some hits, how to enjoy my youth, but more importantly I got introduced to a lot of good music before I even knew what good music was. A band I grew up to appreciate was The White Stripes. I remember listening to a couple songs in particular Expecting and Seven Nation Army are a couple that stand out.


I guess you could say I started to get “obsessed” when I was a sophomore in high school. I learned every lyric and was always repeating the beat of a certain tone almost everyday. My youth was filled with Jack White guitar riffs and Meg’s rhythmic beating of the drums. Over the years I grew a deep appreciation of the band and when their last cd Icky Thump came out in 2007, when I was a senior, I told myself I had to see the White Stripes perform live. After a cancellation in the middle of their 2007 tour I was never given the chance. So, after Jack created these “side projects” I got my fix by watching the Raconteurs at Bonnaroo in 2008, and The Dead Weather in Columbus in 2009 and at Bonnaroo in 2010. Still, it was not the same. I’ve always hoped that Jack and Meg would get back together for a seventh cd and would make another run for it. Over the years, I was leaning back on this concept and believed this day would come…


Five days ago, my dreams came smashing down. It was announced that The White Stripes were no longer a band. They came out and said they are officially no longer going to be performing live or create any knew material. My heart sank. All my youth was filled with the beautiful melodies, from the Detroit hard guitar rock, to the soft but slick guitar licking Tennessee blues.


So what we are left with is 6 cds to get us through some hard days of life. We must not let this band die, just because they are done, does not mean they cannot live on. I plan on still listening to these two musicians for a long long time, and perhaps someday they will have a reunion… One can hope.


I believe Jack says it best,



 “The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”


Long Live The White Stripes
-BJW

No comments:

Post a Comment