Monday, February 21, 2011

Taking Up The Family Business


Photobucket

During my younger years when I was running miles at St. Johns I always remember coming up to a bush, political yard sign, or anything for that matter, and would yell out “Steeple!” and hurdle the object. The Steeplechase has always been kind of the glamor event of track and field for me. I’ve always wanted to run it since watching Jeremy in college meets when I was a young adolescent. It had always intrigued me and for the first time ever, I’m going to give it a go.

This year has been a huge stepping-stone for Shawnee State running program. For the first time in school history we are officially a varsity track program. We are able to compete, and score at meets, including conference and All-Ohio. What this also means is that we are able to qualify, individually, for the NAIA Track & Field National Championships. As long as we hit either an “A” standard, or a “B”standard in a particular event we are qualified to go. In the 5000 meters the A standard is 14:45, and the B standard is 14:59. For the 3000 meter Steeplechase the A standard is 9:20, and the B standard is 9:29.

Originally going into the year I had hopes (and still do) for running sub 15, but the more I look into the steeple there is something inside of me that wants to go after it. Not having much of any hurdle practice, and no racing experience at all I have a lot of work to do. Recently, I’ve done some research and came across this Canadian named Dave Korell who wrote a good article with precise description of drills and training for the Steeplechase. Starting Wednesday I will be doing hurdle drills and steeple specific weight training two times a week.

My first opening steeple will be March 26 at Cedarville. I’d like to work up to breaking 9:30 hopefully as early in the season as possible, in hopes of qualifying for Nationals on May 26. Thirty-two days and starting from scratch… this should be fun.

-BJW

No comments:

Post a Comment