Monday, October 4, 2010

Is This Real Life?

I feel like I'm in the middle of a dream waiting for that moment to be waken up...


I don't know how I got to this point in my running, but I'm loving every second of it. I often find myself waiting for my legs to get tired, thinking any second now fatigue is going to set in, or perhaps another ankle sprain on some coarse grain gravel; But that moment never catches up with me and I'm left in awe wondering if it can get any better then this. My legs have never felt this strong, my breathing never this deep. All I can think about is "How can I keep improving"? Recently I've been questioning upping my mileage in the middle of the season. I want to sneak out in the mornings and run 5-8 miles just for the simple fact that it feels so damn good. The quest for a 100 mile week reeks upon me like a kid in a candy store. I don't know why or how I got this way, but to be honest I'm terrified not knowing of it will last or if it could be taken away any second.

I feel like it's Christmas morning, but any minute  someone or something will come in and take all of the presents away. This joy that I'm feeling I will give anything to make it last. Whenever work or school leaves my blue I always fall back to my running, knowing that I am good at something, and I'm apart of something so amazing it puts a smile on my face.

This past weekend was the 56th Annual All-Ohio Cross Country Championships. We had some big goals of winning it all going into the meet, and with a total team score of 151 points for 6th place we couldn't of been happier. It was the first time beating the NAIA dominate Malone Pioneers and it still has not really hit me that we might actually have a shot at the tittle come November 20th.

The race was out quick in a load of 200 runners from every division and school in Ohio. We had plans to stick together and pack it up for the first two miles, but having that many runners made it imposable. I found myself with Galen Dills for the first 2 miles or so. We worked together quickly picking people off like it was our job. I went through the first mile in a comfortable 4:57. Trying to stay relaxed as long as possible I found myself running with different packs trying to cover ground with as little effort as possible. I came through the two mile in 10:08 running a 5:11 second mile. By this time Galen had left me and I was running 4th man. Not knowing this throughout the whole race, I thought for some reason I was 6th man. I was a bit nervous, because I knew I needed to run 5:10's in order to run 25:50 and I thought I was already dropping off pace. The third mile was nothing special, like the second I tried to keep pace and form.

My third mile split was 15:29 running a 5:21. That's when I started to get this new feeling in my legs. It felt as if I was carrying a backpack of 50lbs. I felt my spikes come in contact with the soft ground I could feel every spike put pressure on my foot. It was like I had a great amount of sensory nerves in my feet. Brad Liston came up around three and a half miles as he said a couple words, we worked together for no more then a quarter mile and he was off running away from everyone else. I found myself, once again, trying to work with other runners and counting off each meter, knowing exactly how much work I had left. I came through the fourth mile in 20:44 running a 5:15. Not knowing that the last mile was actually 0.97m I found myself questioning if I was going to even brake 26 minutes. As I saw Eric and every Shawnee affiliated person screaming at me to put everything I had out there and to not let Malone's 5th man out kick  me, in the back of my head I was questioning why they got so crazy since I thought I was the 6th man, but none the less I put everything I had in my legs for the last 1k and accept that growling pain for another 3 or so minutes. As I came down the last 500m I gave it all I had. Looking up I noticed the clock saying 25:30's. I was in awe. This whole time I thought I was running 6th man not looking to brake 26, and here I am running 5th man looking for a 30+ second PR and out kicking Malone's 5th man to take home the team NAIA title.

As I crossed the line I had pretty much drained everything I had and left everything out on the course. I quickly was looking for someone to collapse on, as this female volunteer said those familiar words "Keep walking, Keep walking" I put my arms around her trying to hold up my feet and not let them collapse. She then replied "I got you, it's ok". I was in way too much pain and not knowing what I had just done to grasp life. As I left the shoot I was grated by other teammates and coaches letting me know that I was in fact our 5th man and had run sub 25:50. That feeling I got cannot be explained. I was quickly to respond that we should not celebrate anything until it's official.

As I struggled to cool down with lactic acid taking over every part of my body I was grated by other Varsity runners who had yelled out with great energy we had beat Malone by a small margin of 2 points. My relief was great, knowing that I held my own and for the first time in my life, I had officially scored for my Cross Country team in what is know the best race we have run yet this season. My official time for the 8000m course was 25:49.5 running a last 0.97m in 5:05.5 making that a 36s PR from last years Aquinas meet.

We are not done. The team still has loads of work to do till November 20th, and we are hungrier then ever.

 Shawnee Bears Varsity (Minus Keegan Rathkamp) and Corey Culbertson

I've had this little thought in the back of my head for years now. Ever since I came to Shawnee I questioned what I could do by the time I graduate. Could I leave this place with All-American honors? Could I get to that point in my running where I could finish in the top 30 at the NAIA Nationals? Knowing this would take loads upon loads of hard work and dedication, I thought in a couple years perhaps when I'm a senior... Saturday was something I've never felt before. It has given me an itch to go out and give everything I have for this team. Could this really happen this year? Would I have a chance to earn, what some take a lifetime to get? Can I race at Nationals and become an All-American? Can Shawnee State University really become National Champions?

These questions linger in my head. I can't stop thinking about it. In class, on runs, even at work or in bed. It's like a disease I can't get rid of, but the thought of making these dreams become reality creates a tingle in my spine. A feeling that I cannot find words to explain. I want this more then I've wanted anything in my life. All I can do now is Believe...

GOALS
November 20th 2010.

25:30  -  All-American

2010 NAIA National Champions Shawnee State University

-BJW

4 comments:

  1. 25:30 here we goooooo

    p.s- this is what I looked @ to kill time during lecture today: http://www.colorado.edu/GeolSci/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to know why you used Gernica, did the visual just appeal to you or the politics of Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. visuals for sure. I saw this artwork in a book while I was in high school and just love the overall look and feel I get from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blake, how are you so famous? I never get comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete