Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Limited Distractions

"To win enough of the time to be considered successful 
you have to both care a great deal about it 
and also not care about it at all"

Recently I've been so tied up with school, work, and making sure I'm running that I am finding it hard to keep everything going smoothly. It is very difficult to juggle all of these while having some down time and relax. Often I neglect the important things just for some self satisfaction or just simply down time. I've been thinking recently how tied up I get in social media, that I am considering an experiment. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Letsrun, Tracktalk, Flotrack, and numerous amounts of music forums, and other time gasping websites. My entire day, if I'm in class, running, eating, or whatever I'm always on my phone, listening to music, on the internet, watching tv, literally sucked into this twentieth century technology hole.

What if I were to shut off my computer and put it in my closet. Turn my off 3g internet, set my cell phone to just take and receive calls, and leave it in my car in case of emergencies. Force myself to only access the internet at the university library. Leave the ipods locked away at home. Fully and truly break free as much as I can from these things that suck me into their orb. If I were to do this, how much time would I have to focus on studying, getting in touch with nature on my runs, or simply enjoying the sound of the wind?

Starting this Friday October 12th, I will do just that. I am hooping that my habit of spending hours sucked into this online world, will dim down a great bit as I realize the freedom of limited distractions. This will allow me to focus on what's important, and create a hardened orb of self concentration and time management. Along with this I will focus on keeping a daily schedule and routine to follow which will help break up my daily toils and make things run more smoothly. I will shoot for one week through October 19th, and will write down day by day what I encounter and realize during this experiment. I hope I don't go too crazy...

-BJW



No comments:

Post a Comment