Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Original Content



All of my life, I've been trying to fight the fight of staying original. True to my roots, and what I believe. It has been one of the hardest things I've ever done. Everyday you're tempted by society's tricks and gimmicks to make you buy a certain type of clothes, listen to specific artist, or buy this car or that house. Media and money run this world, and it is nearly impossible to avoid he bull shit and have you own real thoughts.

I have tried to live by the quote, "You were brown an original, don't die a copy", and there is nothing more beautiful and attractive than being committed to this and being real. The one thing that has helped me stay in touch with my beliefs is of course running As in every blog I write, I thank running as if it were my God. My bible, Once a Runner, touches upon a lot of things that are important to me. Being able to find meaning and beauty of a run, and how anything can be brought back to the simplicity of a choice. One quote in particular stands out to me, "My only real secret was, commitment to the task. A promise so simple, but so impossibly hard to honor. How they could be expected to understand that?..." I feel like sometimes its my job, my duty, to show people the beauty of a run, and how being committed to a task can be the best thing in your life.

The spring time itch has taken over again, and the hunger for long miles, trail runs and the discomfort of lactate threshold induced miles has risen. I am in no where close to where I want to be fitness wise, but I'm really enjoying the process, or as Quenton says, "the task". As of now, it looks like I will be ready to roll again in late May early June. I had to forgo my indoor/outdoor season due to a knee injury in late January, but it gave me enough time to enjoy the woods and welcome in the warm spring weather, and now my legs are hungry for what lies ahead.

These past four weeks I have been slowly building up my mileage while participating in a study done by a graduate student at Ohio University. He is comparing the benefits of running vs. EliptiGO training. After two VO2 Max tests and a couple 5K time trails, I am now free to train the way I want to, and I have set forth a hearty summer race schedule.

I will end with yet another quote that I find enjoyable to ponder upon.

"Isn't it true that you start your life a sweet child, believing in everything under your father's roof? Then comes the day of the Laodiceans, when you know you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, and with the visage of a gruesome, grieving ghost you go shuddering through nightmare life".
- Jack Kerouac

Go and be real.
- BJW

No comments:

Post a Comment