Wednesday, March 3, 2010

100 days till Tennesee

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival has been a big part of my summer for the past couple years. Ever since I set foot in Manchester, Tennessee two years ago I have been hooked. The months leading up to the festival can be very slow and boring, but I know when June rolls around I'm going to have the best four days of the year!

Bonnaroo is exactly 100 days away now. Since the lineup came out about a month ago I have been doing a lot of research on some of the bands that are going. I feel that if you go into the festival having a strong knowledge you will be more prepared and already know who you want to see and therefor have a more enjoyable experience.

A lot of people this year are not very happy about the initial lineup because there are a lot of "new age" bands and music acts that there not familiar with. I feel this can be a good thing. If you don't know who half of the lineup is then you can use that to your advantage. I really enjoy discovering new artist and finding out what kind of music is out there. Most of the artist I listen to came from Bonnaroo. Years ago, Bonnaroo was just a jam band festival, but over the years it has turned into something a lot bigger and better. Some of the "Roo Veterans" feel that the music festival is slipping away and becoming more "commercialized" and feel that Bonnaroo is only trying to sell a lot of tickets rather then to worry about it's roots.

I feel that it's important to sell tickets, because where would they be without ticket revenue? but there is also some respect you gotta pay and people that attend Roo expect nothing less then the best. Like I said before I love discovering new artist and Bonnaroo is the most diverse festival in the U.S.

Some of the favorites from the initial lineup that I have come to like are, Blitzen Trapper, Deadmau5, Neaon Indian, and The XX. A lot of the bands I am familiar with, but I still have a lot of research to do. in the next couple weeks they should announce the follow up lineup which will probably consist of around fifty more bands and perhaps some comedy acts. Once the semester is over I plan on really kicking ass, doing a lot more research and downloading a lot more music. Until then I can do is count down the days and hope they go by fast.

-BJW

Two Gallants - Steady Rollin' (a band I discovered at Roo in 08')


You might have seen me ‘neath the pool hall lights.
Well baby i go back each night. if you got a throat i got a knife.
Steady rollin’ i keep goin’.
I don’t mind how quick the seasons change. you know to me they’s every one the same.
I seen the sunshine drip the drain.
Death’s comin’. i’m still runnin’. my lovin’ lady she’s a ball-and-chain.
I still can travel but my speed has changed.
I bring the money.
I take the blame.
Steady rollin’ i keep goin’.
But i shot my wife today, dropped her body in the frisco bay.
I had no choice it was the only way. death’s comin’.
I’m still runnin’.
Out waltzing with the holy ghost, from the bowery to the barbary coast.
The place i’m from you know i love the most.
Steady rollin’ i keep goin’.
And everyday is just another town. the more i search you know the less i’ve found.
Me, i’m a sucker just a slave to sound.
Death’s comin’.
I’m still runnin’.
Well i come from the old time baby, too late for you to save me.
If i remain then i’m to blame.
But if you should ever leave me, i’ll go where ‘er you lead me.
Its all the same, the same old game.

1 comment:

  1. 100 days til Bonnaroo, less than 12 hours til we cut the cake to celebrate Lipira and Owen's Bday. It's gonna be dynamite.

    ReplyDelete